Tuesday 1 January 2013

Happy New Year

Nico, post bath



2012 was a rather terrible year for me. I faced challenges I would never wish upon anyone and was so ill I wondered how I could ever possibly get better. The thing about being put in a corner, back against the wall, is that it makes you really re-evaluate things. I had time to think, so much time, because I couldn’t do anything else. I couldn’t go to university or work or read my beloved books, even watch a TV show without losing concentration and getting a sore head. It all took too much of something I didn’t have anymore, so I did a lot of thinking.

I thought about the places I’ve been, the people I know and the goals I had in my life and wondered who and what was really worth it.  I decided to take a chance and do something I have felt ready to do for years but never had the guts to and give a home to a dog. The decision has changed my life beyond my wildest imagination and while it has been very rewarding it has also been difficult and challenging. They tell you of the cuddles and amusing antics of puppies and many keep quiet about cleaning up poop on the carpet and trying to prevent them escaping the bath. It isn't easy, and though I'm loving having my puppy I hope that the Christmas puppies this year keep their homes. They really are for life. They become part of your life and can be one of the best parts of it if you are willing to let them. There is nothing like the feeling I get when I come home to his happy face and wagging tail. 

Nico has been amazing for my mental health this year and was without doubt the best decision I made in 2012. Bringing in the New Year with him by my side was wonderful and I look forward to many more to come.

Happy New Year

Sam and Nico

xx

2 comments:

  1. I really can't wait to meet Nico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I'm sure he would adore you. He also likes a cheeky whiskey when he can steal it!

      Delete